If you are thinking about getting a straighter smile with Invisalign in Downtown Calgary, you likely have many questions about how the process works. In this blog post, our team at Bow Valley Dental tells you all you need to know about Invisalign and how it can transform your smile
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an innovative orthodontic treatment that is an excellent alternative to traditional metal braces. It uses a series of custom-made, transparent, and removable aligners to straighten your teeth.
- Consultation- this is your initial appointment with a dentist near you to determine if you are a good candidate for Invisalign. During this consultation, your dentist will determine your specific needs and provide you with treatment options. Additionally, they will use this time to go over your finances and schedule.
- Diagnostics- this is often performed on the same day as your consultation. Your dentist will take a series of digital scans of your mouth to create a personalized and detailed treatment plan that maps out each movement of your teeth from beginning to end.
- Delivery- this is where your smile transformation journey begins. You will receive your custom aligners, and your dentist in Downtown Calgary will go through the instructions for how to wear the aligners and how to look after them.
- Hard work- to get the best results, you must wear your aligners for at least 22 hours a day, only removing them to brush, floss, and eat each day. You will need to switch to a new set of aligners about every two weeks, and you will need to visit your dentist for progress checks about every 12 weeks. With the right commitment, you will notice your teeth begin to move into much more desirable positions.
- The finale- once your treatment is finished, your dentist will provide you with a retainer. Retainers are necessary to keep your teeth in their new positions while your jawbone tightens around them. Ensure that you wear your retainers as instructed to maintain your new smile.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign?
When it comes to aligning your teeth, both braces and Invisalign can do the job. However, Invisalign near you comes with many advantages compared to traditional metal braces, including:
- Less gum and tongue irritation- brackets on traditional braces can rub against the tongue and gums, leading to pain and irritation. Invisalign aligners are made of smooth plastic that does not irritate the gums.
- Eat anything you want- when you get braces, you will be given a full list of foods you will need to avoid. You can’t eat sticky, chewy, or hard foods because they will break your wires and brackets. Invisalign allows you to eat whatever you would like; simply remove your aligners, enjoy a meal, and place them back in your mouth when you are finished.
- Maintain your normal oral hygiene routine- it is harder to clean your teeth with braces because the wires and brackets are bonded to your teeth, and you have to learn how to brush and floss around them. Since Invisalign aligners are removable, you won’t need to worry about brushing and flossing around them.
Interested in Invisalign?
If you are looking for a convenient, discrete, and effective way to align your teeth and achieve a healthier, more confident smile, then you may be an excellent candidate for Invisalign. If you would like to learn more about Invisalign, please do not hesitate to contact our team at Bow Valley Dental.